I have forgotten all about that until recently when I began drinking bone broth to heal my leaky gut. My fingernails are less brittle these days and my eyelashes, which had all but disappeared last year, have returned. My knees are loving it and I am assuming that my gut is enjoying its benefits as well.
A few months ago I started making gummies. So easy to make and nutritious, too.
Before I share a few recipes and resources, I will briefly describe the benefits of adding gelatin to your diet. (We’re not talking about JELLO. I use this brand from grass-fed beef).
According to Katja at Savory Lotus, gelatin:
- is loaded with protein,
- improves digestion,
- helps heal food allergies and intolerances,
- is good for bone and joint health,
- helps your body release toxins,
- gives you better hair, nails, and teeth,
- improves the elasticity of your skin,
- helps speed up wound healing,
- can improve your quality of sleep, and
- can help with weight loss.
After almost a year of daily use I am experiencing first hand the benefits of gelatin.
Homemade bone broth is also a great source of gelatin, and especially healthy if you use bones from grass-fed animals (beef, pork, lamb, poultry). I buy my bones at the Conscious Carnivore and use them 3 to 4 times before tossing them. Each batch nets about 4 to 5 quarts of broth which I freeze in quart jars. I drink the broth and use it in cooking.
Turns our mom was right…. gelatin does a body good.